Foros

Comunicación directa entre usuarios de buenos aliens

Escribir mensaje

Foro: Clubbers 

Tema: Phil Reynolds @ Magic, Niceto 10/05/08 

E-mail:

Clave:

Para poder escribir un mensaje tenés que estar registrado.
Si aún no lo has hecho, registrate.

Tema:

Phil Reynolds @ Magic, Niceto 10/05/08  

Mensaje:

Acepto haber leído y aceptar las REGLAS y las normas de NETIQUETA de este foro.

El sistema no permite utilizar códigos HTML. Sólo se puede utilizar:

Texto en [b]negritas[/b].

Las direcciones de web aparecerán resaltadas automáticamente.

Para publicar un video de Youtube o un set en SoundCloud, poner sólo la dirección. Por ej:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z-ATg8Fdok
http://soundcloud.com/dj/setmayo

usuario
mensaje
el lea

alta:29/07/05
jue 24-abr-2008 13:02

Como bien deben saber todos los que escuchan hardtrance phil reynolds hace poco saco un nuevo cd, y esta es una entrevista que se hizo aprovechando eso...

Phil Reynolds has been a name synonymous with the hard dance scene from some of its earliest days. Now a pivotal member, his trade mark energizing, driving hard trance sets have ripped up the dancefloors of parties not only in London but throughout the country and around the world. With an album out now that celebrates the diversity in talent now in the HD scene, it was about time we sent HF correspondent VinDiesel round to grill Phil about the early days, his drive to succeed and the future of hard dance. Read more over this two part special feature.
Through hard work, total dedication and pure professionalism, Phil has gained a reputation not only as one of the legends of the hard dance scene, but also as one of the finest DJs that this country has ever produced.

Along with names such as Andy Farley, Steve Hill, K90, BK and Nick Sentience, Phil has been instrumental in embedding the thundering basslines and relentless hard beats and melodies into the sound that defines hard dance music. While his sets have burnt this into the sub-consciousness of many clubbers, sending them into a frenzy on the dancefloor!

He has also helped to establish parties including Frantic, Heat and Innovate as outstanding hugely popular promotions and it?s no doubt he is one name that you can guarantee will pull the crowds in.

Phil huge success and immense talent has also equally being applied within the production field and he is behind some of the biggest hard dance classics of the past few years including (Instru)Mental, Pounding Senses and Wanna Go For A Ride. His great drive has seen him move into other previously unventured areas of music including his first ever live PA set last year at Innovate and the launch of his first album Digital Revolution this month.

He is one busy chappy but he kindly took time out from a very busy life of work and DJing to chat to us about his distinguished and highly successful career, the highs, lows, laughs and life outside of hard dance including following his beloved Arsenal football team!

Background and mixing styles

Phil first of all, thank you for taking time out from your busy work and DJing schedule.

What made you get into DJing in the first place? Was it stumbling onto a pair of decks at some crack on, having a go etc or were your mates into it as well?

I started DJing in 1992 around, 5 to 6 years after I first started clubbing. I was buying DJ mix tapes from the stalls at Camden Palace. I didn?t like all the music on these tapes much, so I decided to buy some decks. I could then buy and listen to the records that I wanted! I had some mates who had been DJing over in Turkey and that persuaded me to have a dabble myself!

I had to spend a whole month?s wages on my new decks, which meant no going out for that month, but it was worth it!

You are renowned for your driving, uplifting hard trance sets but you also have played music within other genres including funky house. Describe the different styles that you mix in, which your favourite is and why?

I mix trance, hard trance, tech trance, hard house, house, funky house and some electro. I obviously love trance and hard trance as that?s what I?ve always loved.

How long did it take you to mix properly and how long was it before you were confident enough to take on your first gig?

Very soon after getting my decks. In fact it was 2 months! I got my first gig DJing on a radio station. Even though it was a short space of time, at the time there were only about 10 other hard dance DJs in London. I had to serve a sort of ?apprenticeship? and prove myself even playing opening sets at gigs. Then I was able to move on to playing at different time slots.

When did you think, ?Hey I can make a full time living out of DJing??

Well I was only a full time DJ for a period of 2 years. Around that period, it was always a hobby for me. But it's difficult when you go full time. The money you earn from gigs becomes very important to pay the bills and rent. You rely on being paid on time for gigs but you don?t know how much you will get, if gigs are cancelled or there are fewer parties.

It was never a problem for me going back to work because I could still take on my DJing gigs and enjoy them, without having to worry about how many gigs were coming up for me.

Is there a genre or style that you?ve found hard to get into?

The house scene is a difficult one to break into. Especially when you?re well known for playing harder music. Playing house is very different to playing trance and in the past I haven?t always played it right. So I?m not really seen as a house DJ and maybe never will.

Las opiniones y comentarios vertidos en estos foros son responsabilidad exclusiva de los particulares
que participan. Buenos Aliens desliga todo tipo de responsabilidad emergente de los mismos.