Foros

Comunicación directa entre usuarios de buenos aliens

Escribir mensaje

Foro: Clubbers 

Tema: Entrevista a John O`callaghan 

E-mail:

Clave:

Para poder escribir un mensaje tenés que estar registrado.
Si aún no lo has hecho, registrate.

Tema:

Entrevista a John O`callaghan  

Mensaje:

Acepto haber leído y aceptar las REGLAS y las normas de NETIQUETA de este foro.

El sistema no permite utilizar códigos HTML. Sólo se puede utilizar:

Texto en [b]negritas[/b].

Las direcciones de web aparecerán resaltadas automáticamente.

Para publicar un video de Youtube o un set en SoundCloud, poner sólo la dirección. Por ej:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z-ATg8Fdok
http://soundcloud.com/dj/setmayo

usuario
mensaje
el lea

alta:29/07/05
jue 07-feb-2008 9:09

John O? Callaghan is the man of the moment. In just three years, the Dublin-based DJ/producer has phenomenally risen to the top of the trance charts with his groundbreaking work. His tracks are original, each produced with detailed precision, and praised by the world?s top DJs ? including Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk and Tiesto.

In 2006 he stunned the world with the massive hit Exactly. One year later the release of his debut album Something To Live For took him to just about every corner of the globe. But 2008 proves to be even better. Armada Music recently released one of John?s biggest tracks to date ? Big Sky featuring the beautiful vocals of Audrey Gallagher. Already voted number one by State of Trance listeners, Big Sky is well on its way to reach anthem status this year.

Catching John O? Callaghan live in London is rare. His tight schedule includes gigs in Europe, America, The Far East and Australia, but on Friday, the 22nd of February, he will be headlining with Dave Pearce and Marcel Woods at Delirium. I miraculously managed to track him down for an interview before the big night at Ministry of Sound.

Behind the shy smile rests his striking confidence and with feet firmly on humble ground, he allowed me to tap into his deep-set passion for trance.

Where did it all start for you? When was the very first time you fell in love with trance and decided to make it your career?

At the age of about 16 I became interested in groups like Faithless, Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy. From there I started clubbing to see DJs like Mauro Picotto and Timo Maas. I fell in love with it and the journey began from there. I never really decided to make it a career. Up until now it has just been a case of ?see how it goes?, but I am happy to be where I am now.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was very young I wanted to be a scientist, or an architect. During my teens I thought about going into cooking - I?m a huge fan of Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White! But when I finished college I was nowhere near deciding what I wanted to do, apart from music.

Your work over the last three years has turned you into one of the most sought-after producers/DJs. Did you ever expect this phenomenal success and what was the turning point?

Not at all, I just expected to have a go at making some tunes and having some fun. The thing about production is - it?s like a really good game that you just can?t stop playing. The more you learn, the more you want to make more music. I don?t think there was one turning point, but more a slow progression of smaller turning points. Tracks like Exactly and Big Sky are big milestones in my progress, but I think it?s been a consistent supply of tracks over the last three years that has made my name so far.

You released your debut album - Something To Live For - in 2007. What was the inspiration behind your first album release?

I only decided to make an album after I realised how many single tracks I had made. So I picked the best tunes I definitely wanted on there and then went on to produce another 7 or 8 to fit into the flow of the album. Chris Agnelli was the one to point out how important it is to have a good body of work together on one CD. I?m happy to have that album now and can always look back on it and hopefully improve for the future.

Who are your biggest musical influences? Why?

Mauro Picotto ? his music back in the BXR days was the most inspiring and mind boggling I have ever heard. Every time we saw him DJ, we left the place saying ?what the hell was that tune?, which is the main aim of any good DJ/Producer.

Paul van Dyk ? the consistency and quality of his tunes over the years have been nothing short of genius. The more I listen to his older stuff, the more I appreciate it and I try to bring in a little of those old elements into my new productions.

You are being booked for huge events in every corner of the world and the travelling must really take it out of you. Yet, when you step behind the decks you live for each track. How do you do it?

When I?m DJing and the crowd is up for it, I do my best to enjoy each track for how good it is. I really just love the music! When I DJ, I get so into the tunes and if the crowd is buzzing it makes things a lot easier. Travelling can be a nightmare. I love my sleep and when I go a day or two without proper sleep my brain is just mush!

How do you keep your life balanced with the massive list of releases and incredibly tight schedule?

After the weekend, I normally don?t do anything on Sunday night. It?s the couch and TV for me. Monday is admin day to catch up on emails and all other business stuff. Tuesday to Friday is studio time. It might be experimentation, or a remix ? or working on a new track. Studio time finishes around 6 or 7, then it?s out with my mates. We?ll have a few beers or go to the cinema ? anything to just relax. I know once the weekend comes, it?s hectic.

Las opiniones y comentarios vertidos en estos foros son responsabilidad exclusiva de los particulares
que participan. Buenos Aliens desliga todo tipo de responsabilidad emergente de los mismos.