buscar en este foro

nuevo mensaje 

ir al último mensaje

usuario
mensaje
el lea

alta:29/07/05
jue 07-feb-2008 9:09

John O? Callaghan is the man of the moment. In just three years, the Dublin-based DJ/producer has phenomenally risen to the top of the trance charts with his groundbreaking work. His tracks are original, each produced with detailed precision, and praised by the world?s top DJs ? including Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk and Tiesto.

In 2006 he stunned the world with the massive hit Exactly. One year later the release of his debut album Something To Live For took him to just about every corner of the globe. But 2008 proves to be even better. Armada Music recently released one of John?s biggest tracks to date ? Big Sky featuring the beautiful vocals of Audrey Gallagher. Already voted number one by State of Trance listeners, Big Sky is well on its way to reach anthem status this year.

Catching John O? Callaghan live in London is rare. His tight schedule includes gigs in Europe, America, The Far East and Australia, but on Friday, the 22nd of February, he will be headlining with Dave Pearce and Marcel Woods at Delirium. I miraculously managed to track him down for an interview before the big night at Ministry of Sound.

Behind the shy smile rests his striking confidence and with feet firmly on humble ground, he allowed me to tap into his deep-set passion for trance.

Where did it all start for you? When was the very first time you fell in love with trance and decided to make it your career?

At the age of about 16 I became interested in groups like Faithless, Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy. From there I started clubbing to see DJs like Mauro Picotto and Timo Maas. I fell in love with it and the journey began from there. I never really decided to make it a career. Up until now it has just been a case of ?see how it goes?, but I am happy to be where I am now.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was very young I wanted to be a scientist, or an architect. During my teens I thought about going into cooking - I?m a huge fan of Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White! But when I finished college I was nowhere near deciding what I wanted to do, apart from music.

Your work over the last three years has turned you into one of the most sought-after producers/DJs. Did you ever expect this phenomenal success and what was the turning point?

Not at all, I just expected to have a go at making some tunes and having some fun. The thing about production is - it?s like a really good game that you just can?t stop playing. The more you learn, the more you want to make more music. I don?t think there was one turning point, but more a slow progression of smaller turning points. Tracks like Exactly and Big Sky are big milestones in my progress, but I think it?s been a consistent supply of tracks over the last three years that has made my name so far.

You released your debut album - Something To Live For - in 2007. What was the inspiration behind your first album release?

I only decided to make an album after I realised how many single tracks I had made. So I picked the best tunes I definitely wanted on there and then went on to produce another 7 or 8 to fit into the flow of the album. Chris Agnelli was the one to point out how important it is to have a good body of work together on one CD. I?m happy to have that album now and can always look back on it and hopefully improve for the future.

Who are your biggest musical influences? Why?

Mauro Picotto ? his music back in the BXR days was the most inspiring and mind boggling I have ever heard. Every time we saw him DJ, we left the place saying ?what the hell was that tune?, which is the main aim of any good DJ/Producer.

Paul van Dyk ? the consistency and quality of his tunes over the years have been nothing short of genius. The more I listen to his older stuff, the more I appreciate it and I try to bring in a little of those old elements into my new productions.

You are being booked for huge events in every corner of the world and the travelling must really take it out of you. Yet, when you step behind the decks you live for each track. How do you do it?

When I?m DJing and the crowd is up for it, I do my best to enjoy each track for how good it is. I really just love the music! When I DJ, I get so into the tunes and if the crowd is buzzing it makes things a lot easier. Travelling can be a nightmare. I love my sleep and when I go a day or two without proper sleep my brain is just mush!

How do you keep your life balanced with the massive list of releases and incredibly tight schedule?

After the weekend, I normally don?t do anything on Sunday night. It?s the couch and TV for me. Monday is admin day to catch up on emails and all other business stuff. Tuesday to Friday is studio time. It might be experimentation, or a remix ? or working on a new track. Studio time finishes around 6 or 7, then it?s out with my mates. We?ll have a few beers or go to the cinema ? anything to just relax. I know once the weekend comes, it?s hectic.

el lea

jue 07-feb-2008 9:09

The creative process is different for everyone. How do you blow life into an idea? Is it a sudden moment of inspiration, or something that develops over a few days?

Both! It depends on the tune. Creating big melodies can be a long process, especially as so many tunes out there sound alike. It?s hard to really get something totally original. Techno orientated stuff can happen in an hour, or 5 minutes. Lately I am spending a lot longer on my original stuff and remixes. Sometimes up to 6 weeks to really make sure it has every tiny little detail that sets it apart from everything else. I am big into details and tiny things you probably won?t ever hear, but I buzz off that stuff!

Big Sky was released on the 3rd of December and quoted by Armin van Buuren as one of the biggest tracks of the year. Tell us more about the production and do you see this mind-blowing track reaching anthem status?

Production started in January 2007 and I finished in June. I wrote the full backing track with music and always knew it had potential for vocals to maximise the chords. I?m friends with Audrey and just sent her the backing track. She loved it and came up with a few ideas - the best of which eventually was moulded into Big Sky! When I first heard her vocals I was blown away and I am chuffed to be working with such a great talent. As for anthem status, only time will tell.

Who is the most inspirational DJ/producer you have met so far? And why?

I would say Armin van Buuren. I have met Armin a few times and each time he is as friendly and polite as you can imagine. He always gives me some direct advice and points out things I should look at doing in the year. He is the number 1 DJ in the world, yet completely grounded ? and it is great to know him. Also, at the age of just 30, to have achieved what he has done, is a huge inspiration for someone like me.

Highlight one event, party or club night that stands out in your career.

?I Make The Beat Go Boom?, at club Big One, Buenos Aires, Argentina. A sold-out 2000 capacity club, where I played a 5 hour set. Each tune got an amazing reaction and the passion of the crowd really touched me. It?s a beautiful place and I can?t wait to go back.

I?ve seen the incredible pictures and video clips of Planet Love. Describe the feeling when you dropped your first track with thousands of people cheering you on.

I was nervous and buzzing at the same time! I always try to have technically tight sets and playing a live set going out on national radio increases the pressure so much. Thinking about every tune, every mix and every button on the mixer ? to make sure the set is right takes a lot out of you! It is so much more than just a normal club set, as the expectations of the crowd is much, much higher. All in all, it was amazing and hopefully next year is just as good!

Tell us more about the JOC clothing brand.

Well, it?s not a really a clothing brand. It?s just my logo? on a T-shirt. My logo was developed as part of my new website and it has really caught on. Marketing is an important part of building any brand and it?s good to see people wearing the T-shirts at gigs. There is a shop on my website, where you can buy all kinds of JOC clothing.

You?ve covered most of the globe and already played at major events worldwide. Is there a specific event you would still like to play at in the near future?

I think the one place all DJs hope to play one day is Amnesia, Ibiza. It definitely holds a special status amongst DJs. A lot of people see it as the icing on the cake. Hopefully one day I get a chance!

You have been nominated for Best Producer, Best DJ, Best Album and Best Single in the Irish Dance Music Awards. Your releases have been signed by Armind, Vandit Records and Discover. Your music is fully supported by Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, John Askew, Matt Hardwick and Agnelli and Nelson. A very impressive résumé ? where to from here?

Just keep working hard on my profile and DJing around the world. Working on new original tunes and trying to bring something new to the scene. Who knows what the future will bring?

Nicholas

dee jay
alta:24/05/04
#3 (respuesta al #2)
jue 07-feb-2008 9:27

Highlight one event, party or club night that stands out in your career.

?I Make The Beat Go Boom?, at club Big One, Buenos Aires, Argentina. A sold-out 2000 capacity club, where I played a 5 hour set. Each tune got an amazing reaction and the passion of the crowd really touched me. It?s a beautiful place and I can?t wait to go back.

Osea... LO QUIERO VER YA MISMO! excelente la entrevista que le hicieron a John! Sin lugar a dudas está muy bien encaminado en el camino que lo llevará a la gloria dentro del trance (y por qué no del techno :D)

Me encanta lo histérico/obsesivo que es para hacer sus sets y producciones, algo que a muchos artistas pareciera faltarles..

el lea

#4 (respuesta al #3)
jue 07-feb-2008 9:41

Es increible pensar que esa noche quedo grabada tanto en nuestras mentes como en la de el... (L)

Polmdp

alta:06/01/04
#5 (respuesta al #3)
jue 07-feb-2008 9:46

Si la pueden traducir, sería mejor todavía !

Johny Wikinson

alta:16/09/03
#6 (respuesta al #2)
jue 07-feb-2008 9:56

"...Highlight one event, party or club night that stands out in your career.

?I Make The Beat Go Boom?, at club Big One, Buenos Aires, Argentina. A sold-out 2000 capacity club, where I played a 5 hour set. Each tune got an amazing reaction and the passion of the crowd really touched me. It?s a beautiful place and I can?t wait to go back..."
Ufffffff....leer esto me hace poner la piel de gall...de bostero!
Como la flasheo John es INCREÍBLE!!!! Q todavía siga nombrando a la fecha de la Argentina x lo menos a mí me hace sentir orgulloso de como somos en cuanto a publico....
Aparte recuerdo podria habe elegido cualquier otro gig para llevar a su padre, pero eligió Big One para q lo vea tocar x 1era vez...más emoción debe haber sido de su parte!
Encima pone: and I can?t wait to go back...mamita querida!!! A prepararse todos xq en la Samc rompe con todo!!!
Igual John, lo de 5 horas...jejejejeje, fueron 4:30 aprox....no llego a las 5 ni x joda (se imaginan lo q hubiera sido?)
Todo un groso John....ya podemos decir q está entre uno de los mejores dj´s del mundo, o es muy apresurado???? (Para mí ya lo es!)
Salu2

G10

alta:31/05/06
#7 (respuesta al #6)
jue 07-feb-2008 10:30

q grande john,este muchacho me dio el mejor set q escuche en mi vida,lastima q me lo pierdo para la samc, falta q me re confirme lo grande q es viendolo nuevamente pero en set largo

saludos

KasKa

alta:18/12/05
jue 07-feb-2008 10:45

Es un grande John y no tiene nada que envidiarle a ningun DJ de sus caracteristicas.

Muy buen Productor/Muy buen DJ

Que noche nos brindo ese dia el señor O'Callaghan fue un set de la ostia totalmente y estoy seguro que quedo mas emocionado por que vino acompañado de toda su familia y ellos la pasaron muy bien.

Nosotros como publico tenemos que estar muy orgullosos que todos los DJS que pisan el pais se van muy emocionados por lo bien que le hacemos sentir la estadia en el pais.

Lo de samc realmente me agrada mucho pero John no tieneeee que tocar ahi queremos verlo nuevamente en Big One en una P.U.R.A.

saludos!

bittersweet

alta:06/02/06
jue 07-feb-2008 12:30

Q buena entrevista!!! :)
nanananaaa....He can't wait to come back !!! ...q coincidencia John, nos pasa lo mismooooo.
Quisiera ser mosquito para presenciar esos encuentros en los q Armin lo aconseja (L) (L) (L)

constant elevation

alta:25/04/06
jue 07-feb-2008 12:48

todavia me acuerdo lo que fue esa noche en big 1...

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiincreiblemente trance !!

constant elevation

alta:25/04/06
jue 07-feb-2008 12:50

paradise garage

armin van buuren above and beyond john o callaghan sean tyas

mucho pedir ? jjjeje

Riva

dee jay
alta:07/02/06
jue 07-feb-2008 12:53

Me encanto la entrevista, pero tengo que parar un poco porque cada día son más las ganas que tengo de verlo... Y lo de la SAMC, no se, quiero verlo pero no quiero que caiga en la masividad :(...

Liam

dee jay
alta:07/01/07
jue 07-feb-2008 13:43

Que ídolo! No es ninguna revelación, pero este tipo va a llegar muy lejos..

Johny Wikinson

alta:16/09/03
#14 (respuesta al #12)
jue 07-feb-2008 14:09

El tema es q dp de Big Sky...sino se hizo conocido John...una garcada!!!
Encima ahora tocaría en un evento como la Samc, del cual van mucha gente q nada sabe....
En Fin.....denle un par de años a John q de seguro esté entre el top 10!
Salu2

KasKa

alta:18/12/05
#15 (respuesta al #14)
jue 07-feb-2008 14:21

Un par de años? este año mismo entra en los 10 segurisimo.

Seria un terrible error traer a O'Callaghan para SAMC, 0 sea error para nosotros pero para los organizadores seria un golazo de media cancha mas de uno (me incluyo) si vamos a SAMC va hacer por John y eso sumaaaa muchas personas.

Yo creo que todos pero todos la pasamos excelente en la noche del gran O'Callaghan.

saludos!

Vavá Mado

alta:16/04/05
jue 07-feb-2008 14:46

En su página aparece un nuevo single para este año junto a John Askew

Cartel - Buenos Aires

El nombre por una de las mejores ciudades de clubbers en el mundo según dice... Saludos

nurio

alta:03/05/07
#17 (respuesta al #16)
jue 07-feb-2008 14:59

lastima que no se ingles, como muchos de aca

odio los threads en ingles, si escribis en o ingles tomate el tiempo de traducirlo, sino ni postees!!! y menos crees temas.

Ahora quede manija de la nota!!

offsmar

alta:11/06/05
#18 (respuesta al #16)
jue 07-feb-2008 15:20

Mira vos! que grande John, un verdadero honor para nosotros.

Riva

dee jay
alta:07/02/06
jue 07-feb-2008 16:18

Si, ese track sono hace un par de días en su radishow y bueno, obviamente es una BOMBA...

el lea

#20 (respuesta al #17)
vie 08-feb-2008 10:18

si no lo postiaba me iba a guardar solo para mi la emocion de leer que quedo tan encantado con Buenos Aires, y sobre todo con nosotros, yo tampoco se muy bien ingles(hay gente que puede dar fe) pero hago el esfuerzo y lo que no se uso esto http://www.freetranslation.com o un diccionario de ingles-español.

Nicholas

dee jay
alta:24/05/04
#21 (respuesta al #20)
vie 08-feb-2008 10:51

Toca en la SAMC... ¬¬

call me as soon as you can (a ver si entendés esa :P)

DannyVanBuuren

alta:01/01/08
#22 (respuesta al #19)
vie 08-feb-2008 12:22

play!

no tiene la mejor calidad, pero bueno...

.Aleshio*

alta:25/09/06
vie 08-feb-2008 22:13

x dios... q buena entrevista!

respecto a lo q dijo sobre buenos aires... a mi tmabien me dan unas ganas d verlo d vuelta!!!!!!!! pero al mimso tiempo me da cosa d q sea en la samc... no seria lo mismo un set corto y en un festival... pero la verdad leer eso me manijeo mallllllll!

y tambien lo del nuevo track d John con Askew... todavia no lo escuche... le tengo unas ganas!

vuelvo a repetir... q buena entrevista! un groso John! :)

nuevo mensaje 

volver al foro Clubbers 

Las opiniones y comentarios vertidos en estos foros son responsabilidad exclusiva de los particulares
que participan. Buenos Aliens desliga todo tipo de responsabilidad emergente de los mismos.